Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Travelogue of my trip to Georgia


Here I will recount some of the things that happened during my trip to and from Georgia.
My sister got married in Savannah, Georgia. I am a fan of Savannah, Georgia and I will probably talk about it more later. For now, I just want to talk about how we, me and my wife and my 14 year old daughter and my 22 year old niece, got there.
We drove. Well, I drove. In a Mini Cooper.
Now, wait. Before you freak out, you should know that this is not the normal sized Mini, it's actually The Clubman, which is just a whole bunch bigger. Okay. No. Not really. It's very small.
It takes 19 hours, give or take to drive to Georgia. I drove four people back and forth in a Mini Cooper. Sitting here now, writing this and reading it as I am writing it, I feel compelled to slap me silly. Hold on...
Better. I really had that coming. Big, dumb, dork.
It was done in the spirit of economy. That was stupid. I saved no money because we had to stop for more food and for more hotel rooms and pay for gas and bleaghagag.
I'd like to say, well, at least we got to see some neat stuff, but that is almost totally untrue.
I'd like to say, well, at least we got to spend time together as a family, and while that is technically true, the time we were spending was a lot of just barely not killing one another.
One time, when I was twelve, I was at a lake with my parents. At this lake, there were a great many slides into the water and rafts to swim out to and ropes to swing off of and things to jump from. It was awesome. I spotted a platform that I decided looked like it really needed to be cannonballed from. So, I climbed it and looked down into the water. I remember thinking to myself how crystal clear the water was, because I could see the bottom so clearly.
I cannonballed from the platform, that was actually a platform for a life guard to place a chair on, into approximately 10 inches of water and did some fairly significant damage to my legs and ankles and knees. If I had dove, I would be dead.
THAT was a bad idea. The idea of driving back and forth to Georgia in a Mini Cooper Clubman filled with four people and a bunch of luggage ranks just behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment